Fulltone GT 500 Review – Pros,Cons,Features
Fulltone GT 500 is a FET based distortion and booster pedal designed for use with electric guitar. The pedal isn't rack mountable as it is a foot pedal. It features a booster on the left and a distortion on its right. However, you don't have to keep them there. There is a mini switch that can allow you to change arrangements of which unit comes first in the signal chain. This is a unique feature that sets it above other models.Our Fulltone GT 500 Review article will be your best source of knowledge to judge whether it fits your demand or not.
The Fulltone GT 500 is a truly unique overdrive pedal. There are two independent channels but what sets this stomp box apart is unassuming toggle situated in the middle of the pedal. For discerning guitarists on the quest for an ultimate distortion tones, GT 500 is a perfect choice!
In Depth Fulltone GT 500 Review
GT-500 pedal is split up into two different sections. It’s a distortion and booster in one, which are split into two different sections. Booster section has parameters for volume and drive, along with buttons for highs and bass control. Besides,the distortion part has knobs for volume and distortion and three buttons for bass, mids, and highs. Another great feature that the pedal has is the ability to choose which way you want to route different effects. You can either have the booster or the distortion in front, which is cool as it really makes the pedal two in one.
Two Great Pedals in One
The pedal gives you 6 very usable sounds with two channel amps. You get amp clean, clean boost, pedal distortion, boosted distortion, amp dirty, and dirty amp boosted. The only combo that doesn't work so well is pedal distortion into the amp’s dirty channel which turns into a mushy mess but might work as a fuzz sound. The two pedals add saturation and thickens up the sound which is great for lead and solos, especially on the plain strings up high.
This pedal sounds best with the gain and drive controls turned all the way up with a loud volume knob the distortion side is good too. It ranges from fairly subtle to a good classic rock crunch and really works letting you shape the sound how you want it. However, this pedal is easy to use letting you create sounds you want. It has a mid-control is very powerful and feels like an active boost.
Fulltone’s hardware id hand made using quality brass- copper shaft wire which is strong and smooth. These amazing wires are attached to the interior PCB board via a patented thru-PCB method rather than having the wires be held by the terminals, greatly reducing pot-related failure. This technique keeps Fulltone pedals up and running and durable.
- Excellent sound quality – GT 500 pedal is made to produce some of the best high quality sound.
- Versatile – You can custom tailor the distortion and booster to suit your needs perfectly.
- Durable – Made of high quality materials, this pedal will serve you well for a long time.
- Expensive – retailing at $250. It’s a quite pricy comparing with other models in the market.
- Only limited for use with electric guitars.
- It’s a manual pedal and you have to do all adjustments by use of knobs on the pedal.
Fulltone GT-500 Features
- Maximum Current Draw= 14 milliamps (all knobs cranked)
- Weight= 1 pound 8 ounces
- Size= 5 ¾” (left to right) x 3 7/8” deep x 2 ½” height (top of Knobs)
- - Input impedance = 150K & Output impedance = 15K
- Input impedance = 150K
- Output impedance = 15K
- Input impedance = 500k
- Output impedance = 600 ohms
- Switchable signal path
- Dual-channel design
- Independent EQ for each channel
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I get distortion to sound right?
- For your distortion to sound right, adjust using the distortion button slowly as its really sensitive and a quick turn may not give you what you want. So,be patient as you learn how to use your pedal.
2. Will the pedal work with other instruments?
- Unfortunately not. The Fulltone GT 500 only works with electronic guitars.
3. Can I return the pedal if I don’t like it?
- Yes you can return this product for a full refund if for some reason, you are not satisfied with it.
Since GT-500 is really like two pedals in one, it does have a large price tag to go along with it. However, it is still a reasonable price considering how well made this pedal is and how great it sounds. This pedal is handmade with the best copper and brass and has both a high-quality booster and distortion all in one. It’s a great buy that you will get the best out of in the long term.