Best Bass Octave Pedal- Top 5 Bass Octave Review
Are you in search of the best bass octave pedal that will help to spice up the sound of your bass guitar making it more prominent in the audio mix? Do you need guitar octaves that will help in crafting synthesized signals from the original output? Pedals are known to play a big role for bass players. They are designed to add an additional layer of tone and dimension. Pedals are built with effects which help in cutting through the mix by adding an extra bit. They also help to express musical ideas that have greater depth and variety. Furthermore, using the best bass octave pedal makes one’s performance to come alive in a different way.
This is what captivates the audience during a performance. The audience is not looking for the same tone and tune they have heard somewhere before. With the pedal, the performer can finally provide something different that wows the audience.
What is bass octave pedal?
The octave pedals are a kind of pitch shifting pedals which can be activated and helps to split a signal into 2 octaves. One signal will be clean and high while the other will be low and distorted. When the octave pedal is engaged, it creates an effect that is similar to the synth pedal plus it delivers a fuzzed out synthesizer sounding effect. In layman terms, guitar octaves are designed to provide extras size and girth to the tone while also providing a synth like effect.
5 Best Bass Octave Pedal
BEHRINGER SUPER OCTAVER SO400
The unit is designed to generate up to two additional signals which include one and two octaves which are below your single notes. Thanks to its polyphonic octaves function, as the performer, you can even super size the chords into bursting clusters. This not only assures you of superior sound during your performance but your audience will get to enjoy your performance too.
Run by a 9 volt battery
As said earlier, the BEHRINGER SUPER OCTAVER SO400 is built with state of the art technology which ensures that you get to attain tone quality similar to that generated by high end studio processors. In order to attain the best tone quality, the unit needs to be powered. It is powered by a 9 volt battery which is not rechargeable. A BEHRINGER PSU-SB DC power supply can be used too but it is sold separately. Thanks to the 9 volt battery, you can finally run the unit however you like.
Three creative controls
The unit has 3 built in controls and they include the direct, octave 1 and drive. There is a switch which allows the performer to change between the range, octave 2 and drive. These controls are awesome at sound shaping. With the drive mode, you can generate fat overdrive sounds when coupled with the ultra stable mono and polyphonic octave sounds. The knobs are clearly marked and projected from the surface of the unit allowing for easy control. Thanks to the intuitive controls, the unit combines state of the art DSP technology with sophisticated algorithms to emulate real acoustic environments.
- Has a Blue status LED that indicates effects on/off and battery check
- Has a first class electronic on/off switch for highest signal integrity
- Built with high quality components that ensure long life
- Has real sound modeling that combines DSP technology to emulate real acoustic environment
- Designed and built in Germany.
- The outer shell is made with plastic
- You have to spend extra in order to acquire the recommended DC supply.
- Plastic construction is fragile
- Blue status LED for effect on/off and battery check
- Powered by a 9 V battery
- Weighs 14.1 ounces
- Three control knobs –Direct, OCT1 and Drive.
- Compact design
Aguilar Octamizer Bass Octave Effect Pedal
If you are looking for a unit that has a compact design, then the Aguilar Octamizer Bass Octave Effect Pedal is the right product for you. The compact design is attributed to the reduction of the “lip” around the edges of the pedal.
Full spectrum tilt EQ
If you love playing the bass guitar, then you need a deep organic tone. The unit is designed to create a wide range of musical sounds which are an octave below the original note. The feature is highly useful and enables the boosting of treble while cutting the bass. It also boosts the bass while cutting the treble too. This is attributed to a unique circuit designed to create a clean sound that generates an octave doubling effect. It also blends sound together finally creating a great, thick and snarky synth tone.
Independent volume controls
The Aguilar Octamizer Bass Octave Effect Pedal features independent volume controls which are perfect for clean and octave sounds. They help to dial in the exact amount of each in a cinch. The two discrete signal paths processed by the unit have their own tone controls. This has been built to enhance as well as expand the musical capabilities of the performer. When combined with the filter control which is a multi pole low pass filter, you can finally shape the octave sound from a smooth and deep to one that is edgy and aggressive.
- Weighs 1 pound which makes it highly portable
- Has a compact design thanks to the reduction of the lip around the edges of the unit
- Powered by a 9 V battery allowing the performer to play any effect they want
- Has a multi pole low pass filter which lets one shape the octave sound from smooth and deep to edgy and aggressive
- Has a blue status LED for effects on/off and battery check.
- The unit does not track as well as advertised
- While it’s designed to make octaves sound good, it only performs this for one second before audibly cutting out.
- Has a proprietary detector circuit for superior tracking
- Has dual filter architecture
- Full spectrum tilt EQ
- Powered by a 9 V battery
- Heavy duty steel outer shell.
EBS OctaBass Tripple Mode Bass Octave Divider
The unit is engineered to create a single note one octave below the pitch of the played note. This helps to add a new dimension to the sound. With improved tracking, your performance is highly improved. It uses true bass techniques which trigger better and faster.
High, mid and low ranges
The EBS OctaBass Triple Mode Bass Octave Divider recognizes two or three note chords. It also triggers the lowest note. This can be achieved by controlling the level of the original tone and mix in the octave effect. By selecting between the high, mid and low ranges which are known to relate to the character of the sound, it helps to add a nice touch which is blended with the original tone. This is perfect especially if one is playing solo on a bass or guitar. The unit also works great with distortion but it is important to remember to keep the unit before the drive in the single chain.
Protected against over voltage
One of the saddest events to occur especially to electronics is damage from overvoltage. During power transmission, the voltage may spike. These overloads the circuits of an electronic finally damaging it. The manufacturer of EBS OctaBass Triple Mode Bass Octave Divider has protected the unit from overvoltage up to 18 V.This gives one peace of mind when performing with the unit.
- Powered by 1.9 V batteries which are included on purchase
- Designed to create a single note octave below the pitch of the played note
- Uses true bypass techniques which trigger better and faster
- Built to recognize two or three note chord
- Can control the level of the original tone and mix in the octave effect.
- Changing the battery is quite a tedious task
- The DC supply is not included so you have to purchase an adapter.
- Durable outer body
- Red status LED
- Normal and Octave controls
- High, mid and low range switch
- Weighs 1 pound.
Mooer MOC1 Pure Octave Guitar Single Effect
The unit is built to deliver the best octave effects in a compact pedal board friendly construction. One can switch between the 11 octave modes and also adjust the lower, upper and SUB sections of the signal. This offers full tonal control to the user. Thanks to the metal casing, users are assured of a durable product that is road ready.
Full metal shell
Unlike other brands and models constructed with a plastic metal shell which can be compromised easily especially on impact, the Mooer MOC1 Pure Octave Guitar Single Effect is designed with a full metal shell. The metal shell provides protection to the circuit board located within it. This helps to ensure the unit gets to function as required. Furthermore, it assures the user of long term service plus the chance of using a unit that improves on sound.
11 octave modes
The micro pedal has 11 different octave modes. This is much better than other models that have only two. The 11 octave modes can be preset using the rotary knob located on the top side of the unit. Thanks to this feature, the unit is able to offer four pitch shifted voices. This means that every blend of one or two octaves. It has an ingenious twist thanks to two modes that feature the first and second octaves up or down as the octave down and up sounds.
- Has 11 octave modes which allows the performer to blend one or two octaves
- Has a full metal outer body that assures you of durability
- Its pedal board friendly
- Small and exquisite making it highly portable
- Offers precise polyphonic octave effects with no distorted sound.
- The pitch shifted sound may sound horribly
- The octave may be out of tune for some models.
- True bypass
- Small and exquisite
- 11 different octave modes
- Weighs 5.6 ounces
- Has the following dimensions – 1.8 by 4.2 by 2.2 inches.
Donner Grey Pitch Guitar Bass Effects Pedals 3 Modes Precise Polyphonic Pitch Shifting
Improving on sound generated by a bass guitar using effects from a guitar octave is a dream for every performer. Not only does it offer a wide array of sound that the audience gets to enjoy but it allows the user to play with various effects and modes.
Up, down and detune modes
The unit allows the performer to change between the up, down and detune modes. The up or pitch up mode helps to output a precise polyphonic pitch shifting voice while the down or pitch down mode is designed to shift the pitch plus mixing it back with the original signal thus creating a rich harmonic voice in the end. Detune or slightly pitch shifting mode helps to shift the pitch and mixing it back with the original.
The Donner Grey Pitch Guitar Bass Effects Pedals 3 Modes Precise Polyphonic Pitch Shifting is powered by a DC power supply. The unit draws 128mA while it outputs 500mA and 4.5 W. The DC supply allows the performer to use the Donner Grey Pitch Guitar Bass Effects Pedals 3 Modes Precise Polyphonic Pitch Shifting however they wish.
- Has three modes namely down, up and detune
- Has a solid outer body construction that assures one of durability
- A user manual is available with the unit
- It is highly portable as it weighs 290 g
- Has intuitive controls.
- The pedal may not track notes well.
- True bypass
- Precise polyphonic pitch shifting
- Up, Down and Detune modes
- DC power supply
- Weighs 290 g.
When it comes to shopping for the best bass octave pedal, there are few things you have to consider. Sound quality, durability, reliability and value for money are but some of the few factors you have to consider. This helps to ensure that you have a unit that offers you top notch effects and long term service. If you are looking for guitar octaves that are affordable and designed with advanced features, I highly recommend the above reviewed units.Still you are thirsty to read reviews of other octave pedal like polyphonic,fuzz, monophonic or pitch shifter,read the octave pedal bible here.